Monday, April 11, 2011

Medicine Wheel & En - A - Inter - Cultur - ation

Four Cultural Processes
As promised I am back to try and share with You my learnings regarding the Medicine wheel this weekend .
 I mentioned earlier that the weekend was to begin with a mass and celebration of Blessed Kateri Tekakwitha Feast celebration . So I feel this is a good point to begin . This mass was really wonderful as the archbishop was there and my dear friend Mary also came ☺
This mass was very good because the archbishop touched a bit on the issue of culture & religion . He spoke of how we now know the difference between sharing religion & imposing culture etc. It was great he also talked about the sameness and signifigance of the eagle feather he was holding  to the bishops staff .
As some of you know being an educator & missionary I've written about the effects of just having the European way & methods in teaching and the outcome of that . I will write more about the role of missionary in my next post in regards to the Medicine wheel .
This post I just wanted to focus a bit on the topic of religion & culture . It is not unknown to my friends of course I believe that God touched all peoples and continues to do so. Being a Christian in our bible our holy book we are even told this over and over again that God's people are everywhere His tribes are scattered across nations , oceans etc. God did not intend for all peoples to become European , roman and speak latin ;-) again this is me talking , who I am and my belief .
 As the archbishop was walked in the procession I couldn't help but look at his grand hat . I'm sure it has a special name as all the other garments do . I thought to myself . That is his headdress ! Like all leaders there are often different types of headdress. Isn't that kind of cool .I love finding and seeing the sameness in cultures . Then when he took that big grand headdress off he had a tiny little cap .It looked just like a rabbi type of hat ! Later in our medicine wheel workshop Sister Eva shared the headdress which had actually belonged to a bishop ! again I love how God moves us all to come together like that ☺
Sisters Eva & Priscilla gave a wonderful wonderful workshop .
I want to share from the back of a sheet sister Eva took the time to write out the explanation of the 4 cultural processes .I feel this post is necessary before I write about the medicine wheel also because although the medicine wheel is aboriginal the issue of culture and religion is for all peoples . Not all of us will be full blooded anything so I think it important also to focus how we can incorporate the spiritual cultural practices God gives to each and everyone of us as an individual . Also as the medicine wheel may be an aboriginal teaching the concept is quite similar to the teachings from other cultures and it can most certainly be put into practice by all peoples . 
 I'll try and find a few links to share if possible .
En- A- Inter - Cultur - ation
four cultural processes


Enculturation ~ is an anthropological term used to describe the process whereby internal forces from one's own world impinge on one's life and one learns those forces as part of one's reality eg., growing up in a closed society with no access to a wider world .

Acculturation ~  is an anthropological term used to describe the process whereby outside forces impinge on ones world and one adjusts or adapts to those forces , eg., one is forced to learn a new language and customs because one has entered a foreign society .

Inculturation ~ is a theological term used to describe the process whereby the gospel and life of Jesus is inserted into a culture and those forces impinge on ones world and one adjusts or adapts to those forces , eg., an aboriginal person is given Christianity in a Euro-Western cultural trappings as if that is the only form of Christianity that is acceptable for the aboriginal person.

Interculturation ~ is also theological term used to describe the process whereby people of a Christian and non Christian tradition engage in mutually respectful dialogue and allow the best of each tradition to enrich and challenge each other in the process of recognizing the presence of the Triune God in their midst prior to Christianity and particularly through the person and gospel of Jesus .



No comments: