Wednesday, February 2, 2011

saying No to big tobacco


Yes today is the 4th year anniversary I said NO to the hold big tobacco had on my life .
It seems appropriate with it being candlemas the feast of flames , let that addiction burn & offer it up in a puff of smoke .
I'd rather focus on it being Dacotah's birthday & the presentation because I do not wish to give cigarettes any attention what so ever !
However it is important we educate the truth of harmful things & I feel very strongly in being open regarding addictions with our young people .
I was not a heavy smoker and in fact any Dr. I ever had told me my 4-6 cigarettes per day were nothing to worry about . air pollution is just as horrid.
I'd even get down to 1-2 per day in certain times of yr.
I'd always quit while pregnant and nursing but then start up again.
 So my biggest issue with tobacco was the issue of that hold that addiction !
I tried the patches , the nicotine gum . always without working for very long .
I cannot even pinpoint the exact what led me to quit but I can tell you what changed within my life .The last time I smoked that cigarette was the day I said goodbye to one of the worst enabling relationships in my life !
I was strong & I was ready .It was time !
 I can say also the one element that was not apart of my quitting was that of fear .
Unlike other times where I was "trying " to quit .This time I just quit. It wasn't to save a baby.It wasn't because I was scared stiff I'd die some awful smokers lung death .
No I think it was true & pure surrender .
My ex passed away close to 2 yrs ago now from lung cancer . It was really quick as he did not know . Our dd Natasha  saw how much he smoked  so for us the issue of health really hit home  and is very real  .
I grew up in a home where smoking was norm .As a child many adults smoked .why is it we still to this day tell children no you can't smoke or drink now but once you are an adult go ahead your a big person now .!
Back then even doctors smoked in their offices. People smoked in the grocery store while shopping butting cigarettes out on the floor of the store ! Smoking on buses , airplanes etc. was norm !
Second hand smoke does create addicts ! It does harm the general health of others !
I have to admit also I was a hypocrite. I didn't see it at the time because I was justifying my addiction but how could I saw no to plastic toys , chemical laden foods but support big tobacco !
Well ok I'd even try and kid myself into buying healthy tobacco ! Honestly an addict can and will go to any means to justify their addictions !
Of all the drugs I had to say No to and that I truly feel I was addicted to tobacco is it !
I also had to look at the issue of tobacco as a sacred plant .Tobacco just like all plants have their place and purpose such as marijuana , opium , coca etc. God did give certain us these plants for specific uses and purpose .
Here in north America tobacco has it uses & purposes . I struggled with the issue to purchase tobacco or not now as it is used to give to elders and leave while picking certain plants and as a gift in ceremonies. at church you see the cigarettes people have left the priests but it is not home grown or wild tobacco it is big tobacco cigarettes .I was buying natural tobacco and mixing it with other herbs as a incense smudge but still felt it was not right . I prayed about it and I now do not purchase any tobacco . Tobacco was not a sacred plant to all aboriginal peoples so perhaps it is not meant to be for me . while picking cedar last yr. I prayed as I felt I should leave something . I took a small piece of my hair and left it behind ☺
Really all God asks is for us to give ourselves .
there are a ton of links to help quit smoking , sites to help educate young people , sites on big tobacco and all the harm done.
There is the campaign begun by the Mum who was dying of cancer caused by her smoking .I'm sure Youtube has her videos.
The one film I tell people to watch is the one with Russel Crow where he plays the scientist who worked for big tobacco. To see just like big oil or anything else that is harmful.It is about money nothing about helping or caring for others. It is true story too so rent it if you can .
I try now to focus on the real stuff that matters like the health of our children and educating others about having healthy lives. If we are going to focus on self let it be in good & healthy constructive ways .Do not give the negative a chance to creep in and take over . We do have choice and we can say NO it actually isn't hard at all we just often believe the lie that it is .
I don't have much more to add .
 We are going to make an apple pie for Dacotah's b-day even though he lives in the next province.
I want to try and have a fire outside in honour of candlemas
there is still yummy lamb stew & oatmeal bread from yesterdays supper so we are good to go.
Oh and we will be watching groundhog day of course !

No comments: