Monday, July 6, 2009

A Bed of Flowers

Great Gramma's Shamrock
Yes anyone who knows me knows I love flowers . Especially the edible kind lol
my friends will also tell you that although I love love growing , eating , caring for many herbs & flowers I cannot grow a vegtable what so ever so if we ever become homesteaders my dh will have to do the veggies or we'll starve to death ;-)
I can remember always my grandmother & mother handing me a rose petal , violet or blueberry flowers . A few yrs ago for the first time ever which is actually odd considering all our trips to MX I tried squash blossom . Just raw fresh and cool in the morning for breakfast . It is heavenly ! Soft yet a hardy flavour too . Now I have yet to cook them as I'd have a hard time saving them till lunch time for cooking lol but if you want to try out a recipe or two I found this site
I am now making it a personal goal to try a new edible flower each summer . Last yr. it was marigolds . They come in different scents and flavours too ! Not all are tasty though so stick to the varities that are used in culinary purposes like lemon gem , yum yum . The yr. before last were pansies and johnny jump ups as we had planted pansies in our Mary garden in memory of great great Aunty Pansy . This yr. I hope to try day lily , I've absolutely no idea what type of flavour a lily would have but willing to try . I think I might try the day lily fritters . I found this and it is daylily recipes in pdf format !
I've been taking photos of flowers around the yard plus on our outings . Thought I'd share some beauty with You all ;-) Enjoy !
This is a lily which I planted in spring had no idea what colour it was until she opened this morning ;-)

These are wild rose petals I picked out at my mothers the wild rose scent is so much stronger then the tame rose.


These are off our bush here in our sacred heart garden . I dry them and use for bathing , baking , nibbling treats ;-)



The bees all abuzz in morning

Sacred Heart garden

this is our view coming up the drive to Gramma's cottage a field of daisies & butter cups what could be more lovely ! I am so tempted to send a cow into this field lol this is one lovely daisy These iris are my fav . There are many colours around the cottage but the white and purple are my fav as they not only look gorgeous but they smell the most wonderful lemoney citrusie smell





























5 comments:

Anne (aussieannie) said...

I love it all! Wish I could take a real life peak into that lovely garden of yours!

little sparrow , florasita , sticklady , strong tree woman said...

lol Anne , you may have noticed I did not include pics of the other half of my garden ;-)
if I had you'd be seeing foot high thistles amonst the struggling veggies !

molly said...

This is lovely Rox! I miss hearing fron you, hope you are well.
I prayed for you the otehr day on Blessed Kateri feast day. You continue in my thoughts and prayers friend.

little sparrow , florasita , sticklady , strong tree woman said...

Hey Molly ! I am not on fb until mid august ! I got an email saying you had written on my wall but I had no way to respond !
keep praying !

Leonie said...

Roxie, some beautiful pix and lovely memories of your mum and grandmother. I alwasy find your blogs so restful..and hope to see you on FB again in August. :-)